Art In A Time Of Coronavirus is an exhibition of postcards created in response to the Covid-19 Coronavirus pandemic — an unprecedented event that has left us wondering: What is this? What’s next? How do I behave? We’ve added new concepts to our daily life [social distancing, flattening the curve]. And, find ourselves living in a time when – out of an abundance of caution – there’s no place like home.
This small exhibition will be installed in the GAAC’s Lobby Gallery, and exhibited in tandem with the Power Tools exhibition in the main gallery. Power Tools, the exhibition, is built on the belief that the visual and literary arts provide powerful tools of expression. People have long used the visual arts to present a wide range of realities in ways that the purely literal cannot. Read more about Power Tools here: https://glenarborart.org/exhibits/power-tools-prospectus/
Small works of art that present the maker’s personal response/feelings/experience of the Coronavirus pandemic.
- “Postcard” refers to a substrate measuring 4” long x 6” wide. This is a standard, postcard measurement.
- Entry is free.
- Applicants may submit up to five  postcards, each of which must measure 4” x 6” exactly. Artwork may be either horizontal or vertical orientation.
- Postcards substrate must be heavy stock paper, rigid backing, photography paper or other similar materials. Wood, ceramic and glass are allowable, but must be securely wired for hanging. No sawtooth hanging hardware. Works on paper will be affixed to the walls with museum putty, and are not required to be wired for hanging.
- All media is welcome: clay, collage, pencil, paint, found object, fiber, textile, metal, mixed media, painting, photography, sculpture, wood, text, and poetry.
- Open to any person of any skill level.
“Postcards” measure 4” long X 6” wide. Submissions smaller or exceeding these dimension will not be included in the exhibition. Submissions may be horizontal or vertical in orientation.
How to Enter
- Postcards are due by August 12, 2020. All postcards must be at the GAAC by 3 pm. This is not a postmark date.
- Postcards may be hand delivered to the GAAC, or mailed to the GAAC: Sarah Bearup-Neal, Gallery Manager, Glen Arbor Arts Center, POB 305, Glen Arbor, Michigan 49636, ATTN: Corona Postcard Exhibition
- Postcards must arrive at the GAAC IN AN ENVELOPE with your NAME, ADDRESS, PHONE NUMBER and EMAIL. Work submitted without this information will not be accepted.
- Label the BACK OF YOUR POSTCARDS with your name and the work’s title.
- Please provided a self-addressed and stamped envelope to have your postcards returned to you. Postcards may be picked up at the GAAC November 9-11, 2020.
- Postcards may be offered for sale during the Art In A Time Of Coronavirus exhibition.
- If you want to offer your work for sale, please write on the back of your postcard: FOR SALE.
- If you do not want to offer your work for sale, please write on the back of your postcard: NFS.
- All postcards will be offered for $30. The GAAC will retain a 40% commission on work sold during the exhibition. Artists receive 60% of the final selling price. Artists will receive payment following the close of the exhibition.
- Exhibition runs September 11 – November 5, 2020
- Submit postcards: August 12, 2020, 3 pm at the GAAC. This is not a postmark date.
- Reception: Friday, September 11, 6 – 8 pm
For More Information
Contact Sarah Bearup-Neal, GAAC Gallery Manager: 231-334-6112.