Exploring Cold Wax and Oil
Date: Friday and Saturday; April 14, 15
Time: Friday 10 am – 4 pm; Saturday 10 am – 1 pm
Registration Deadline: April 11
This workshop offers demos and hands-on experience with cold wax medium and oil paint. Manning, a former art teacher and now professional painter, shares with participants methods to explore the basic materials, tools, surfaces, and techniques she employs in her work. Participants paint with cold wax, oils, pigment sticks, and powdered pigments and experience the expressive potential of layering, texture, and mark-making. In addition, Mara helps artists address barriers to creativity, letting go, and working more freely. Since the medium does take dry time, students will leave the workshop with “in-progress” work.
With a BFA in Painting and Drawing from UW-Milwaukee, a Master of Arts in Education from Lesley University, and many additional workshops and courses. Mara retired from a 24-year career as a high school art teacher. She has concentrated on building a full-time painting career for the past eight years. Mara has been painting in oils for over 40 years and with cold wax for 15 years.
Please read the GAAC cancellation and refund policy here: http://www.glenarborart.org/terms-and-conditions/
COVID-RELATED UPDATES TO 2023 PROGRAMS AS OF 12/20/2022
To ensure the safety of our students and Staff, we have implemented new procedures for our 2022 programs to mitigate the spread of COVID and still allow participants to have a wonderful time creating art.
- Class sizes will be limited to 12 persons for indoor programs and 16 outdoor programs
- All students who have symptoms of respiratory or gastrointestinal infections, such as cough, fever, sore throat, vomiting, or diarrhea, should stay home and not attend class.
- Students and Staff will wash and sanitize hands frequently throughout the day.
- Staff will sanitize common areas and touch surfaces regularly.
- We have optimized our indoor ventilation system to reduce the risk of germs and contaminants spreading through the air.
- If Leelanau County COVID-related cases are designated high risk, students and visitors must wear a face mask to prevent transmission.
To keep pace with the evolving conditions related to the pandemic, Staff will inform the GAAC’s new policies or procedures before the start of the course.