Exhibit: You Are T/Here
You Are T/Here is an exhibition that asks applicants to visually explore and describe what their own, personal “here” or “there” looks like. What IS “t/here”?
- Is it a concept? An ideal? An abstraction? Or, a real place?
- Does your “t/here” come with coordinates? Or, is it inside your head?
- Is it a place you want to be? Or, toward which you’re heading? Or, want to escape?
- How do you / how did you get from here to there?
- Where do you want “t/here” to be?
- Are you here? Or, are you there?
- And, how has being quarantined, locked down, masked up, and socially distanced since March 2020 — among other national and global disruptions — affected your sense of “here” and “there”? Where’re you at? Show us.
Go deeper into You Art T/Here: Gallery Manager Sarah Bearup-Neal is in conversation with three practicing artists about their encounters with creative block.
Fleda Brown, Traverse City poet and author, talks about writer’s block and not-writing. https://www.fledabrown.com/
Crystal Neubauer, Wisconsin visual artist + teacher working in mixed media, talks about her 5-Minute Strategy for pushing through creative block. http://landmarkbookstc.com/
Paul Stebelton, Traverse City poet and proprietor of Landmark Books, a bookstore, and Landmark Press, talks about his 2018 chapbook Writer’s Block. http://landmarkbookstc.com/